25 February 2011

RTFM - Schemas and Users

Scene:  Me in my cube, arms crossed over chest, client in corner looking at all my O'Reilly DBA Books, Sr. DBA in front of me...

Me: My client didn't want any of the stuff of the schema in there, so I saved the ddl of the schema owner and did a drop user {name here} cascade; but now I can't see the schema...

Sr. DBA: Yes, that's because you dropped everything. Now you have to run the ddl that you saved for all the objects.

Me: Um.... I saved the ddl for the schema owner...and then ran that...

Sr. DBA: YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T SAVE ANYTHING ELSE ?

Me: Er... I reran the ddl for the schema owner... doesn't that make the ... um... exoskeleton of the schema come back? Like, all the stuff but... empty?

Sr. DBA: [silence]

Me: Uh, I guess not.

Sr. DBA: [thought balloon = omg, how did she get here]

LUCKY FOR ME, the client really didn't want any of the objects. And now I have a better understanding of schemas and users. And clients. And Sr DBAs.



I feel better after reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment