19 April 2011

PANIC TIME or OMG HE'S LEAVING IN 7 DAYS!!

Okay, so here's the dealio.  I am most likely, barring an unlikely event, to be taking over a Senior Application DBA's role soon.  This is not to say that I am going to be a Senior Application DBA, this particular crowning achievement will be mine not for many many years.  Maybe 3 or 4.  But for now, I have seven, count them, SEVEN days to glean all the information he has gathered in his brain for the last 30 years. 15 of those years in this particular set of applications.  Sometimes the thought overwhelms me, and I think of the ancient Japanese ritual of sepukku if I accidentally kill a database.

So I have seven days.

What do we do? Imports/Exports.  Tuning.  Partition maintenance.  Architecture advice. Moving databases.  Working with upgrades.  Running scripts in Production.  Reports.

And this is just the stuff I know about.

I'm sure it will be JUST FINE.  In the meantime, I'm getting over a horrible cold and swigging down Sarah Silverman orange Cold/Flu relief cough syrup.

blah....

No comments:

Post a Comment